Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Election of Abraham Lincoln

My friends, today Representative Lincoln has beaten Senator Douglas for the title of President. Although the better canidate for us has lost, we must not be hasty to make rash decisions. The preservation of this country is by far in our best interest. Although I support a state's right to succede, any atempt to do so would not be watched idley by the government. In addition, we do not have the military required or the industrial capabilities to sustain a war. Although our values are endangered by this new President, it is in our best interest to work peaceably to preserve our livlihood.

Source: http://www.civilwarhome.com/jdavisbio.htm

5 comments:

  1. I have to agree Davis, the better candidate did lose. We must not worry though for the South will prevail in time. We must work together and as you said "work peaceably to preserve our livlihood."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you Mr. Davis. We indeed lost the better candidate in this election.

    I believe all of us could have benefited not from Douglas, but from Breckenridge, though his youth and lack of experience did make him an underdog.
    Succession should be left to a state's discretion at this point. We will see how Lincoln's policies fan out with the Southern's way of life and see if that fragile bridge can still hold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must agree Mr. Davis, the better candidate was not chosen. I don't agree that was Douglas, but still it is a shame.
    I am anxious to see how this fans out for the South as we all know, Lincoln's views don't particularly dove-tail well with us here in the south. I believe succession is at the individual state's discretion at this point.
    Only time will tell how things will go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Davis,

    I agree it is to your best advantage to keep the United States of America together. I will indeed work with you Davis; however, if any conflict shall rise, I, my friend, will not provoke such conflict. If there shall indeed be war, I will not be the agressor. Secession is in your hands Davis, but I will do whatever I can to preserve the Union.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Davis,
    Although I disagree with you about the newly elected president, I am glad to see that you hope to work things out peacefully. It is also in my best interests for things to work out this way, as the majority of my family would fight on behalf of pro-slavery states, should a war occur.

    ReplyDelete