Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Battle of Fort Sumter

I am deeply conflicted over the Battle of Fort Sumter. On one hand, I have always been opposed to the idea of succession and have even take steps to ensure peaceful negotiations with the United States after succession became a reality. On the other hand, the occupation of Fort Sumter by Union forces was a blatant attempt to gain a foothold in the south as war becomes inevitable, and I could not ignore this. We repeatedly asked for a surrender of the fort, and because of the Union’s stubbornness to relinquish it, and in fear of Union reinforcements arriving, I did what I felt was best for the well being of the Confederate States of America and ordered General Beauregard to siege Fort Sumter. While minimal causalities were sustained, I fear that the worst is coming.

http://library.thinkquest.org/3055/graphics/battles/fortsumter.html

4 comments:

  1. Davis,

    How dare you order Confederate troops on our stronghold! Fort Sumter belongs to the federal government! You should definitely fear that the worst is coming; I guarantee no more harm will come to the Union. You have chosen sides Davis; you have made the wrong choice.

    ~President Abraham Lincoln. The true president of the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spoken to General Beaurgard and he has invited me to Fort Sumter and explained his plans on the sitaution about surrendering,but says he can not. I have also had a word with the Governor of the State, Bohan. It was asked why didn't he inforce Beaurgard to seize.He said,"he did not like to interfere with the military--that "there had been like to have been some ill feeling between him and Gen. Beauregard brought about by Gordon on account of the laborers which he could by law have no authority to compell. He also told me that there had been some ill feeling between you and him [...]" He did not want to ruin his relationship with his people so he chose to do nothing at all upon the firing on Fort Sumter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Chief Davis. War is inevitable you can smell the gun smoke, hear the agonizing screams, and taste the blood of battle. The Union considers itself far too erudite to even come to agreements with our side. They see us as tyrants and fools. I care for one thing -my family- whom I shall protect against the wise union 'sages'. I am prepared for your leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe we as a people are willing to join together and offer our support for the Confederacy. We must all stay strong as we all know this will be no picnic. War is a grimacing trial to face, but if that's what the Union calls for then that is what they will receive. I am honored to live in these Confederate States and hope to be of whatever assistance I can to provide a positive effort as we face the Union.

    ReplyDelete